The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet! is getting a lot of love these days! Thank you so much for buying the book (it’s already in multiple printings!), reviewing it on your blogs and websites and for coming out to see Carmen speak. We love you!
A few recent reviews to check out:
- NCTE Charlotte Huck Award for Outstanding Fiction for Children Honor Book
- School Library Journal Best of 2017 list: “With vibrant and hilarious art and simple but stirring text, this is a timely and fablelike tale about the power of one voiceto resist and inspire many.”
- Sam Juliano at Wonders in the Dark blog: “…a vivacious, invigorating and often dynamic picture book…”
- Amazon Best Children’s Books of 2017 ages 6-8
- Publishers Weekly Starred Review: “Deedy’s message about speaking up and speaking out rings as clearly as a bell.”
- The Horn Book Starred Review: “Deedy’s original story of the noisy village of La Paz has the feel of a well-told folktale — one with plenty of dry wit.”
- We were included in the 2017-2018 Read Across America calendar!
- Betsy Bird at Fuse #8: “…this book’s chock full of fun and frolic, humor and laughter, and just the lightest undercurrent of darker tensions bubbling beneath the surface. Everything you’ll need for your social activism storytime.”
- Kirkus Books Starred Review: “This subtle, modern multicultural tale is a must-have.”
- Reading is Fundamental: “Engaging, repeating rhythms and mixed-media illustrations highlight the visual-based humor.”
- University of Arizona World of Words: “…this is certainly not a simple story, but a timely reminder of the power of our voices.”
- Scholastic Reads Podcast
- A Book and a Hug Blog: “This powerful story is about the importance of speaking your truth to power. Bright and bold illustrations create an atmosphere of fun as the underlying message quietly waits to be heard.”
- Waking Brain Cells Blog: “…a wonderfully readable tale that offers a folktale feel with a modern sensibility… Strong, vital and important…”
- Picture Book Builders Blog: “DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND READ THIS BOOK!… The story is inspiring. The art is exceptional. The book stars a rooster.”
- The Washington Post: “…perfect for a rowdy read-aloud.”
Have you written a review about The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet! on your blog? Let us know if we missed it and we’ll be happy to share it!